Asterisk is seeking a seasoned Project Manager to join our team as we create brand experiences, help users navigate their surroundings, and facilitate interactions between people and the built environment.
The ideal candidate brings a collection of experience from the realm of commercial design or architecture; basic understanding of technical and code-related design requirements; the agility to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with clients and colleagues; experience with fabricators and the other trades who make our work real; the ability to create schedules and shepherd teams and projects along the way; exceptional written and verbal communication skills; proven professional references; and a drive to develop and grow along with our firm.
This role will act as a conduit between our clients and our studio to help ensure the quality, timeliness, and financial viability of our engagements, many of which span several years and multiple 2-D and 3-D project types. This position may work out of our Austin studio on a hybrid schedule, though exceptional fully remote candidates will be considered.
We’re looking for someone who:
• Seeks a long-term career opportunity, not a time-sheet job
• Can help operate and grow our 25-year old firm
• Understands the creative studio process and how to structure projects from concept through delivery across platforms of paper, pixels, and the built-environment
• Can help define efficient ways of working via technology and processes
• Enjoys working with creative projects and creative people
• Communicates effectively, succinctly, and kindly via email, Slack, Zoom, and the phone.
• Is detail-oriented, makes lists, and enjoys getting things done. Check the box people welcome.
• Is proactive, supportive, empathetic, and able to bring a positive, problem-solving mentality to a business that requires flexibility
• Manage the execution of key creative engagements
• Lead simultaneous project workflows for a range of 2- and 3-dimensional design engagements including signage, exhibits, installations, digital media, and print across all phases of the creative life cycle
• Manage project budgets including estimating, writing and reviewing proposals, and tracking job progress in our system
• Support design team with tasks such as creating production specifications, procuring vendor bids and contracts, vetting new vendors, securing photography and illustration rights, etc.
• Build rapport with our team and clients
• Run our weekly project and workload meetings; keep job lists up-to-date and moving forward
• Review monthly billing milestones and coordinate invoices and expense reports with team and leadership
• Assist with new business development and presentations
• Support firm leadership in managing our day-to-day operations including matters related to strategic positioning, facilities, financial/bookkeeping, HR, events, and special projects
• 4-year undergraduate degree from an accredited school
• 5+ years industry experience, preferably in an architecture or interiors firm
• Proven history of leading complex projects with tight deadlines and multiple dependencies
• The ability to adapt and change gears quickly, nimbly, and with a positive spirit
• Proficiency in Microsoft and Google suites and project management and productivity software; familiarity with bookkeeping and accounting basics; use of Adobe Creative suite a plus
• Active professional social media involvement including LinkedIn and Instagram, etc.
• Outgoing, positive, interested in learning and contributing new ideas
• Consistent, dependable, and conscientious
• Detail-oriented, impeccable organization and communication/writing skills
• Availability and willingness to travel if and when required
• Self-motivated with a mindfulness of time management
• Genuine interest in helping grow and shape the evolution of our firm
Salary and benefits
Salary commensurate with talent and experience. Benefits include PTO, paid holidays, long- and short-term disability insurance, access to our firm’s major medical plan, an annual professional development stipend, and earned eligibility to participate in our SIMPLE retirement plan.
About our studio
Asterisk is an award-winning design studio based in Austin, Texas. Our work includes 2- and 3-dimensional engagements — often all at once: brand vocabularies and identities, installations and exhibits, experiential graphics and signage, digital media and traditional print collateral. We create meaningful brand experiences by building long-term relationships with clients who value and respect the work we do, and with colleagues who enjoy the wide variety of creative opportunities in our studio. Our book of business includes international, national, regional, and local leaders in real estate development, architecture and interiors, higher education, retail, technology, cultural institutions, entertainment, hospitality, transportation, civic places, professional services, and philanthropic endeavors. For more information about our firm, work, and culture, please visit asteriskdesign.com.
How to apply
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Project Manager
Please send a letter of interest and include your resumé with education, qualifications, work history, and an expected salary range. No phone calls or drop-ins.
Asterisk is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents must provide authorization to work in the US in order to apply. This is a full time professional position.
Thank you for understanding that we cannot consider candidates without at least 5 years professional experience in the field or authorization to work in the U.S..